Re: chute loads v/s time

To: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: chute loads v/s time
From: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 21:22:10 -0700
I almost agree with your last statement John.

 From what I've seen, it's:
1) Incorrect packing.
2) Bad packing
3) Sloppy packing.
4) Dirty chute (glued together by salt)
5) Incorrect mounting.
6) Incorrect size.

I saw one poorly packed chute that got a line over and cut open a panel.
Not fun.
After that we had our crew member Ed Conway pack the chute. Ed drove F-105
Thuds over RP-6 in Viet Nam. For some reason had a very close, respectful
relationship with Parachutes. Might have been because he had to punch
out twice.

As far as opening loads, I wonder how much energy was generated by Al
Teague's
high speed chute. When it opened at 430+ it made a boom that I could
feel in my
chest. I was standing on the return road at 5 when the chute opened at
about 5 <

You bring up some very interesting information John. The next time BS
talks to BS
I'll bring it up. It should be interesting.

Thanks for the information John,
Bryan Savage