My Car Data from Maxton

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: My Car Data from Maxton
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:15:39 -0500
Okay I promised I'd report what we learned at Maxton with the potentiometers
and downforce numbers...

Tonya and I have just got done doing the initial calibrations.. and here's
what we know happened...

The Rear of the car has 400lbs of downforce at 200mph and the Front has
100lbs...

We have some rules of thumb now to evaluate the data... basically it's
measured in volts from 0.0 - 5 Vt.. but the pods all start at a given
voltage.... an increase in voltage means the pod is decreasing in lenght which
equals downforce...  one tenth of a volt equals one tenth of an inch which
just happens to equal 100lbs of downforce...

These are truly rules of thumb but it's within 5% of the exact perfect number.
at anytime with the information we just gathered we can get a Perfect to the
pound number..   We literally added and subtracted 100lb increments of lead to
the car as well as increased the altitude in tenth inch increments and
recorded pod readings....

There were some other interesting things we noted... like you can watch the
rear suspension work and the anti roll bar do it's thing... all very easy to
see once you understand what your looking for...  LOTS more to learn from
this...

Keith