Open Road speed record locations

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Open Road speed record locations
From: M Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:15:51 -0400
List

A question for at least the US, German and Aussie members of the list -
certainly not the Brits!.

In any of these non British countries does anyone know of straight, flat
and smooth tarmac road(s) of about 10 miles length that might be closed by
the county or state authorities for an FIA land speed record attempt (one
hour duration in total!) - as distinct from using it/them for open road
racing.

Details of the contacts that would need to be approached would be useful
along with its/their geographic locations.  [Tunisia had some 13 mile
straight and level roads but the surfaces were not good enough].

Minimal roadside furniture would be acceptable but no adjacent water please
- target average speed in the 280 - 300 envelope.

Any ideas contact me directly or through the list.

Might take your mind off how much is not yet done when preparing for Speed
Week 2004, for a few minutes at least.

Thanks,

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.
(I was asked - so I have come to the best source of information (cannot
access the J Amo Land Speed Racing chat pages just at the moment without
re-registering))