Re: Chute Force (2)+

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chute Force (2)+
From: John Szalay <john.szalay@att.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:28:21 -0400
At 04:39 AM 7/12/04 -0700, you wrote:
>The problem with LSR chute deployment vs sky divers is that in LSR the tow
>strap is generally very long and is ejected backwards. The effect of this is
>that the cute in LSR is at a virtual stand still when it is snapped open.
>Deflated one instant inflating the next. Skydivers generally have thier rigs
>inflate when deployed (who wants that feeling of is it gonna work ?) when
>you pull the rip cord. There are many ways to softern the jerk loads. Is
>this the only analysis possible, heck no! Just use good data and reasonable
>physics.
>
>mayf

 Just wondering:  Why the  race chute manufacturers do not use the same
ring/slot
style parachutes that the military used for drag chutes as used on fighter
aircraft, and NASA uses on the space shuttle. ( it was tested on NASA's B-52
first)
 that style chute is also what is used as extraction chutes for air-dropped
cargo
loads, and for low-level extraction deliveries.

 those uses, feature long tethers (towstrap)  and REQUIRE a very stable canopy
(no oscillation, else the loss of aircraft )
IIRC: both uses also make use of a deployment bag OR a metal slip ring
on the suspension lines to slow the opening of the canopy until all slack
is out of the risers and suspension lines.

And speaking as a parachutist myself, you think an opening parachute on a car
 puts a great load on you in the seat [shoulders and such]
 Try having a parachute harness leg strap out of place,  then get the opening
shock of a T-10 , with a piece of male anatomy is also in the wrong place.
(I'm sure they must have heard me back in the plane..)
That was a real opening shock......