Re: Pollywog

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pollywog
From: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:47:53 -0700
Don Gartlets built a dragster to solve a problem he
was having. The problem was bad enough that it caused
a serious crash. The problem was torque steer, caused by
the widely separated drive wheels was limiting the amount
of power he could control. He started a design with the
rear wheels close together as possible. They were so close
together that there was no room between the wheels for
the drivers controls to the front wheels and the engine,
so he put the driver in front of the engine.
He was trying to get center line thrust like a single
engine airplane has.

The point is, the greater the distance between the drive
wheels, the more unstable the car. With front drive, this
is much more important than rear drive.

I in my opinion the Pollywog's stability would improve if the
front wheels were closer together.

Bryan