Tracking ...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net (landspeed list)
Subject: Tracking ...
From: wester6935@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:34:59 +0000
Received this this morning from a group called Accountability Utah.  They are a
watchdog organization that monitors bills proposed for the legislature and
political happenings in the state.  This little clip makes me shudder;

Legislators Consider Mandatory Tracking Chip for Your Car
Salivating legislators are considering an Oregon scheme to mandate satellite
tracking chips in all automobiles.  These chips would monitor where your cars
are, when you drive them, how much you drive them, and allow officials to tax
you on those miles -- providing an innovative new way to steal and spend your
money. Give officials a piece of your mind now (or your privacy later) at
http://www.accountabilityutah.org/IssuesAlerts/LegAlerts/2004/Tax080304.htm

Rental car companies would love to have this capabillity I'm sure.  The threat
of being able to track you would also be a boon for insurance companies.  They
would actually know more about you and your driving than you would.  It could
be fun to see someones face who was reading tracking at an insurance company
after a doorslammer goes 300 on the salt.

Wes