Speed Week '04 Costella & Yacoucci

To: "'Land Speed List'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speed Week '04 Costella & Yacoucci
From: "Rick Yacoucci" <turborick@TurboRick.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:15:56 -0700
We had a fantastic time at speed week, didn't have much time to visit but I
did a little
We ran H/BFS on a 269 record in liner 988
On our first run we ran 293 in the quarter and then the engine sneezed and
blew off the tube to the intercooler.
On our second run we ran 299 in the quarter, 314 in the first mile, then
lost high gear in the middle mile at 328.
We went to impound and assessed the damage, pulled the oil pan off and found
a pile of teeth from sixth gear laying in the bottom, there werent any
teeth left on the gear so we decided to run it as a five speed and take it
to the rev limiter, next we saw the drive chain was wore out so we put a new
one on and were ready for the backup run in the morning.
In the morning I decided to take it easy in the first few gears to see if we
can make the chain last, We ran 264 in the quarter 282 in the mile and 319
in the middle mile running right below the rev limiter for the whole mile.
And bumped the record to 324, when we inspected the chain it was trashed
again so we put a new one on and we turned the rev limiter up a few hundred
rpm.
Next we jumped classes to H/BGS on a 239 record our car number changed to
1988
On our first run we did 290 in the quarter 305 in the first mile and 334 in
the middle mile, back to impound and put on our last chain....boy this chain
thing is getting old.
In the morning I lost count of what gear I was in and shifted into sixth
that now was a "high neutral" I got it back into fifth with a lot of
cringing on my part. We went 291 in the quarter 305 in the first mile and
327 in the middle mile. That was good enough for a 331 average.

Rick Yacoucci

---