Re: Visual Wind Tunnel

To: "Dale Krumheuer" <dmirror3@yahoo.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Visual Wind Tunnel
From: "Steve Pitt" <stpitt@zipcon.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:44:02 -0700
I recently was at an SCCA regional road race with cars qualifying in the
rain (Seattle, of course!).  I was amazed seeing what the air does when you
see the movement because of the spray.  The ground effects cars with the
tunnels, vents and wings really move the air around but in what looks like a
very orderly way.  Big rooster tail out the back and a lot of spray off the
tires.  No way near as sophisticated as F-1 but still impressive.  The big
V-8 sedans made a mess out of the spray due to the way they punch their way
through the air.  Not very orderly at all.  All very fun to see, although
aerodynamically, WAY over my head.  Like you say, a visual wind tunnel.
steve