Shock and vibrations--Bumps, Suspension, Etc.

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shock and vibrations--Bumps, Suspension, Etc.
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:31:36 -0700
List--Have any of you guys read a good writeup on the how these subjects
relate to race car design?  I mean something that's longer on practical
examples and shorter on eye glazing higher mathematics.  I'd love to see some
real world numbers on vibration mode frequencies, spring constants and damping
factors for other car parts parts besides the springs and shocks themselves.

Vibration and shock  are tough subjects to understand.  45 years ago I
memorized enough solution methods to pass the final exam in the course
following which I did a 98% data delete on the subject.  Since then I've
learned a little bit about it; but seem incapable of explaining it to anybody.
(That includes some of the engineers I used to work with)

For all the books that have been written on chassis design there must be at
least one out there that was written by a bright engineer or mechanic who
didn't ace calculus and spend his whole career riding a desk or a drawing
board.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Ed Weldon