Re: Sam Wheeler at Bub Meet

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sam Wheeler at Bub Meet
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 19:10:37 -0400
Jack, John, the summer I started motorcycling, 1955, I started reading
the motorcycle monthlies.  I was impressed to read that on 2 July 1955
Russell Wright, down in far-off New Zealand, had taken the "F.I.M."
World mc speed record at 185.150 on his privately-owned Vincent Black
Lightning.  This imprinted itself on my brain.  In 1960 I got my own
first Vincent, and have never been without one since.  Like all Vincent
riders I have looked up to Russell all my life for that achievement.

Part of that lifelong nostalgia is that he took the "F.I.M." world
record.  As you know, F.I.M. has been in business since 1904.  Many
motorcyclists, if not most, look to them to be the world authority for
"the world motorcycle speed record".
They seem to have managed to maintain a good organization down through
the years, and to give good service to the public concerned. They have a
very interesting website, btw, accessible at Federation Internationale
Motorcycliste.

No-one anywhere questions the accuracy and integrity of SCTA timing.
SCTA and F.I.M. are using a slightly different system of running the two
passes to set the record average speed.  I personally feel the F.I.M.
should be supported as the "world" authority.  Obviously each person is
free to judge that issue for themselves.
Please, please, don't start something like the FIA imbroglio we had a
year or two ago!!!!!  lol  BH