Re: Last Week's News --- Minnesota Speed Record( public highway

To: FastmetalBDF@aol.com, saltracer@awwwsome.com
Subject: Re: Last Week's News --- Minnesota Speed Record( public highway
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:35:20 -0700 (PDT)
That closed highway thing in Nevada that Ed V. runs at
sure does look  like a great challenge as well as
tremendous thrills, however !!!  Even there, I recall
seeing on TV a guy in a Ferrari going off the  road
with a fatality resulting ....... either himself, or
his wife / girlfriend

Yes Bruce and that is EXACTLY why we have rules and
stick to them. This clown shows up with a new Ferrari
& wants to run in the Unlimited Class. Back then, a
roll cage was not required, but Z-rated tires were for
speeds over 150 mph. I don't remember what
speed-rating his tires were, but they were NOT Z or
better (Z was best back then for street tires). So the
promoters stuck him in the 150 class. He raised hell
with the tech crew and argued that Ferrari would not
ship the car from the factory if the tires were
inadequate for the top speed of the car. Well, he won
the argument & they let him run Unlimited. Sooooo...
at 195, he had a blow-out and the car went through the
desert, eventually landing on it's top, on fire. His
wife was thrown out and killed.... now get this....
She had unbuckled herself from her 5-point harness
because she was "uncomfortable". He lived, and
immediately sued the promoters for allowing him to run
the race. His lawyer argued that the tech people
should have known that the tires were unsafe, and
damages should be paid for loss of his wife, car, pain
& suffering etc. Believe it or not, he won. While all
of this is unfortunate, it is a sad example of our
litigious society and failure to take personal
responsibility...
Ed

http://vote.yahoo.com