RE: Sept. 25 at ECTA

To: <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Sept. 25 at ECTA
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:37:47 -0500
List;

I found that Checker Auto is now selling my favorite gasket sealer--
Hylomar. It's a beautiful blue goop that seals gaskets and
metal-to-metal joints very well. The stuff never completely hardens so
the joint can be taken apart without much effort and the old Hylomar can
be cleaned off completely with acetone, MEK, or a commercial spray- on
brake cleaner. There's no scraping off the old material like there is
with other stuff-- even silicone rubber. Silicone is still the best
stuff for filling large gaps, though.

This stuff was originally developed by Rolls-Royce for sealing metal
joints in jet engines; it is now being distributed here under the name
"Permatex Hylomar HPF Gasket Dressing and Flange Sealant".

We used it to seal the joints in our Hewland LG600 transaxle in the
McLaren. It made swapping gearsets a lot easier; just wipe the case with
MEK to remove the old sealer completely and then apply a new coat of
Hylomar and bolt it up again. Good stuff.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ