Rule 3.S question

To: <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>, <wamlk@earthlink.net>
Subject: Rule 3.S question
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:13:02 -0700
I asked this question before regarding the trailing link arm on the rear
suspension needing safety straps. I have resigned myself to doing this
because it seems inherently safer to do so. However, the rule and
description leave a lot to be desired. Here is the part I am in need of
additional information on:

"3.S  ......................All traction bars and trailing links shall have
a metal sling near the front attaching point with a minimum of 1/4"
diameter.  ............................"

Questions
1. Does this mean that the sling has to be a rod? When it says diameter it
must mean round because it uses the word SHALL..
2. What kind of metal? Chrome Moly, cold rolled steel, lead? Is there a
specific tensile strength needed?
3. Can the sling be of equivalent cross section to 1/4 inch diameter area
wise? For instance, a 1/4 inch diameter bar has a cross sectional area of
0.049 square inches. Could a flat bar with that equivalent area be used? IE
1/2 inch wide by 0.098 thick? Or 1/4 x 0.196?
4. What about attaching bolts or fasteners? To the link? To the frame?
5. Many of todays cars (Mustangs for one) use a four bar link
arangement...do these OEM cars require a support for the bottom links? Or
iis OEM Exempt? If OEM is exempt them what about aftermarket 4 link
suspensins from Major Manufacturers such as Chassis Shop, Chassis Works, and
Art Morrison? These puppies use 5/8 inch attaching bolts (grade 5) and 3/4
inch heim fitings threadded into a 1 inch diameter link bar. And fasteners
use nylock nuts.

Bottom line: what is reasonable that I can and should do? Will it depend on
the eyes of the inspector and change at every meet? In the area of safety,
rules should be pretty specific, dont you think?

Oh, and yes I have seen some ideas which do not meet the criteria specified
but would certainly do the job. BUt if I was an inspector reading the book
which says 1/4 inch DIAMETER, I would flunk every one who uses something
different.

mayf, out in pahrump...