Re: Towed to Bonneville

To: <QUICKTURBO@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Towed to Bonneville
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:22:38 -0600
The black, Vintage Air Studebaker coupe, was not driven to the salt. They
were not after a record but just a timing slip with a speed over 200.  It
ran with the air conditioning and stereo going full blast. Satisfied, timing
slip in hand, they put It back in the trailer and returned to Texas.
Reportedly the car was  heavily damaged when it went out of control on the
highway the next year ... someone driving it to get burgers for lunch was
showing off.

It was a beautifully finished car.  At the time, Fred Larsen questioned the
sanity of running a show quality car on the salt.  If you remember his car,
he had little room to talk.  That #115 liner was pristine every time it
rolled off the trailer onto the salt.  The body spent the winter in their
back bedroom.  Larry Maldonado commented one morning (during a photo session
with some scantily clad models) that he had never even seen a rag on the
part of the body where one was sitting.  Fred growled back "rags don't have
asses that cute!"  Miss him!

Wes