Traction Control and Bench Racing..

To: <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Traction Control and Bench Racing..
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:05:49 -0800
Seasons end is here and now we all turn to bench racing. Well some of us any
way. Regarding Joe's comment about needing TC for acceleration because the
courses are short or getting shorter (hopefully longer at B'ville). This is
sorta on mark but the problem, seems to me, to be larger than that. I think
we all agree that TC on the top end causes us slower speeds because
ultimately power is removed from the rubber salt interface. So maybe TC
isn't the answer there. As to the acceleration phase of a run, according to
what I have read, wheel slippage of about 20% yeilds best acceleration
(Dave, isn't this correct?). So rather than remove power maybe our traction
control needs to add power, yeah, baby, that's it! If we have limited
traction generally wouldn't it be better to do something else, like maybe
taller tires? Or taller gears? Or a dab less air pressure in the driving
tires (but within safety limits)? Or maybe some weight (some may argue that
weight isn't a factor in traction, but, I believe it is)? I think there is a
way for the driver to get the maximum traction from his vehicle, including
bikes, and that is pretty simple. Grab yourself an acceleometer and a meter.
Place the sense axis along the car/bike drive axis. Doesn't even have to be
very accuraley located, just as long as it generally points the way you want
to go. Dial a set point at or near the , ahem, salt coefficient of friction
prolly around 0.65. Accelerate and keep the set point alarm lit using your
foot and eyeballs...like a shift light. Then you would be getting the max
acceleraion for the salt or dirt or whatever. I thinbk I will try and spec
something out to see if this is reasonably easy to do as I have surnised...

mayf, out in a dark Pahrump