Re: Crash helmet hazards

To: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>, <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Crash helmet hazards
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:37:18 -0700
Ed
The cuts were from a piece of PVC pipe used as a frame for the mile markers.
When he hit marker it shattered and a piece hit the wind shield and breaking
it and and his face shield, the force of the wind caused his helmet to lift
causing him to lose vision.

The cuts were most likely caused by the wind tearing his scalp where the
plastic hit him. The chin strap may have been loose(not properly tightened)
and the reason the helmet lifted. The next day he looked like he was the
losing end of a bar fight. I was on the accident committee and documated the
incident as well as taking pictures for the study we do on each incident.
Glen