Re: Crash helmet hazards

To: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Crash helmet hazards
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:22:53 -0800
Glen-- Thanks for your info on this incident.  Your comments are further
encouragement toward the reinforced windshield idea for a 27 T street
roadster.  It's real hard to get a physically large driver very deep into a
27T  body and stay within the constraints of the street roadster
requirements.  Much less of a problem in a roadster or modified roadster
where the rules allow the driver's body to be behind the rear edge of the
stock cockpit and thereby sit in a semi-reclining position.
Just today I was mocking up (with 1-3/4 exhaust tubing) the front hoop of
the roll cage and thinking that it might be too far forward by a couple of
inches.  On second thought I think I'll leave it near the way it is and let
the driver exit space become a dominant governing criteria for the design.
Better to have the driver's head a little further back in the cage.
Ed Weldon