"Engine Basics: Detonation and Pre-Ignition" by Allen W. Cline

To: billyjack@mail.billethridge.com, vblfl-l@jtan.com,
Subject: "Engine Basics: Detonation and Pre-Ignition" by Allen W. Cline
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:17:01 -0500
Hi folks, I know some here are interested in good, useful articles about
theory and practice in building and developing high-performance engines;
compression ratios, fuels, etc.  Vincents, Arduns, Hemis, current
four-valve heads,  everything.  Dave "Hayseed" Thomssen invited my
attention to this one, which is available on the website where we
recently saw the sound videotape of the "Ardun Dyno Pull".

Mr. Cline's credentials, unfortunately, are not given, but from
statements in the text he apparently is on the engine design staff at
Cadillac, as an engineer or technician.  Hence, he WOULD know something.
Too bad more articles of this quality are not readily available!  He
surveys past and present, so check it out.

The only point he makes that I question is that he believes a
'pre-ignition' situation can prevail during the entire 180 degrees of
the compression stroke.  It is hard for me to imagine that this could
exist during the first third or so of it while the intake valve is still
open in the average engine, and no compression has yet occurred.  But
you be the judge, and maybe some experts out there can say.

To access this, go to the website streetrodstuff.com  , click on
"Articles", then scroll down on that page until you see Mr. Cline's
line.  Enjoy!  BH