Re: land-speed-digest V1 #1764

To: 2weldons@earthlink.net (The Weldons), land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: land-speed-digest V1 #1764
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:48:38 -0500
Ed, a couple of details I noticed on the prototype print that vary from
later production are the end water return arrangements and the alignment
of the pushrod holes in the heads.  There may be others.  Only three
sets of prototype Arduns were made in the 18 months from the time George
Kudasch went to work for Ardun Mechanical Corp, to when AMC went
bankrupt.  There was a time lapse after that before Zora got some more
backing and actually got his Ardun heads into production.  A lot of the
later timeline is shrouded in mystery.  Some writers say one thing,
others another.  George was original co-designer with Zora, but George
went on to other professional mechanical engineering work from AMC, and
spent over 30 years to retirement as a designer with Sikorsky
Helicopters in CT.  He covers all this history in detail.

I don't think adding the end rocker shaft stands later required anything
more than lengthening the head studs, since they are just placed on
existing stud positions.

George Kudasch is a friend of mine, and we did an in-depth interview for
Bonneville Racing News, the first two parts of which are just out, and
more to come.  You can call the BRN office at 951-926-2277 to subscribe
and I assume they can fix you up with the first two issues.  George's
story started with #118 and continued with #119.  #120 should be out
soon.  Bill