RE: Sreamliner question.

To: albaugh_neil@ti.com, Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com, drmayf@teknett.com,
Subject: RE: Sreamliner question.
From: Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:40:56 -0700
True, Neil.  But another, not often discussed, advantage of his design is
that you have a predictable, defined point of separation.  If the point of
separation moves around on the body it can cause instability (think
knuckleball).

Dale C

Dr Kamm studied this extensively and concluded that if it wasn't
possible to carry the streamlined body shape all the way to a point then
it was better to chop off the tail. I suppose he had some conclusions as
to where that tradeoff occurred but I don't have a copy of his paper so
I don't know any details; it was probably in German anyway.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ

Exactly, Mayf.  If you use a curve with a radius that has a <7 degree
tangent to the LOCAL airstream, the airstream should stay "attached."
You're right too about trying to minimize "wetted area" to reduce
surface
drag.

Dale C.

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient or employees of MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you
received this in error, pleasecontact the sender by email and delete the
material from any computer.