Re: What's in your crankcase? part One from S S Slim

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: What's in your crankcase? part One from S S Slim
From: "Jon E. Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:36:46 -0500
On Monday, December 6, 2004, at 11:49 PM, Dick J wrote:

> Joe & Lynne Lance <jolylance@earthlink.net> wrote:.. .. ..  a
> long-time Mobil 1 user.
>
> I too used Mobil 1.  According to this engineer though, there was
> apparently a suit between Castrol and Mobil a while back.  Seems like
> Mobil 1 was too much like Castrol's patented formula.  Mobil lost, and
> changed their formula.  Since then, their product hasn't tested out
> anywhere as good as it had.
>
> Dick J

I know, I know -- arguing over which oil is better is like telling a
mother that her baby isn't the prettiest one on earth -- you will never
"win" the discussion.

That said, I've not yet found a good reason to use fancy oils (at least
in street vehicles).  In plain ol' American V-8's I've always used
whatever brand-name oil was on sale at K-Mart and a fresh oil filter
each oil change, commonly running the oil to 10-12,000 miles between
changes.  All of those engines lasted into the early-six-digit odometer
readings with negligible oil consumption and fuel economy at or above
the "advertised window-sticker" rating throughout life.  The engines
always started well, even in our pretty darned cold winters.  None of
the engines ever needed major repairs.  So:  No reason to use expensive
oils -- I simply would not get my investment in the higher-cost oil
back.  (I did try Mobil 1 or one of those synth. oils once or twice,
for a change or two -- didn't get much, even though I'd run the oil for
25,000+ miles to see what would happen.

End of part one, part two to follow.

                Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing