Re: What's in your crankcase? Part two from S S Slim

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: What's in your crankcase? Part two from S S Slim
From: "Jon E. Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:38:35 -0500
On Monday, December 6, 2004, at 11:49 PM, Dick J wrote:

> Joe & Lynne Lance <jolylance@earthlink.net> wrote:.. .. ..  a
> long-time Mobil 1 user.
>
> I too used Mobil 1.  According to this engineer though, there was
> apparently a suit between Castrol and Mobil a while back.  Seems like
> Mobil 1 was too much like Castrol's patented formula.  Mobil lost, and
> changed their formula.  Since then, their product hasn't tested out
> anywhere as good as it had.
>
> Dick J

Part Two, synthetic oil.

In my diesel medium-duty trucks I've used Shell Rotella from the first
oil change and forever thereafter, again with new filter each change.
650,000 miles on the 5.9 Cummins with no change in fuel consumption and
no change in requirement for make-up oil after the change (before the
next).  When i got my first Cat 3126E I chatted with the factory lube
engineering department, and was told that I would not get a positive
return on the cost of synth. oil  in those motors, so don't bother.
One motor is at 304,000 now, the other just at 93,000 -- I haven't
bothered trying the synthetic Rotella per his suggestion.

In the new Duramax I changed oil last weekend (at 28,000, and this is
my third change - first the factory stuff, then two with regular
Rotella, all at about 9-11,000 miles (the book calls for 10,000 change
intervals) and put in synthetic Rotella.  Cost is 2x regular stuff.
I'll report, sooner or later, if I see any differences.

Last note:  On the '87 Gold Wing I've found the Honda HP4 oil
(synthetic) DOES last longer than regular oils (evidenced by smoother
shifting over the life of the oil).  Until about 100,000 miles on the
engine, though, it was the same old "what ever is on sale, fresh
filter, at least double the mfr. recommendation" story.  The bike is at
140,000 miles, about one quart of make-up oil 'tween changes, fuel
economy and engine startability - same as when new.

Ain't made a believer out of me yet. . .

One caveat:  All this discussion is for my street vehicles.  The race
bikes get Red Line.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan