Re: First Race - - - or, How I outran the Sheriff!

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, joyseydevil@comcast.net, land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: First Race - - - or, How I outran the Sheriff!
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:18:37 EST
        John, I think you've opened up a thread here that could fill many
volumes, not just one book !  The combined auto antics / racing experiences
of the membership of this list must have many, many amazing, strange,
and very funny tales of events participated in or witnessed by all of us here
!
      Maybe we should split the forthcoming stories into two basic categories
any of us could choose from :  Early Driving Days and Street Only Stories,
and the other category would be for On The Track Only Stories, no matter
if the track was straight or oval, asphalt, dirt or salt, and also winding
sports
car type and off-road courses .  The combined years the members here
have been in and around auto racing must total way up into the thousands,
I would guess !  Many folks here have easily been involved for over forty or
fifty years, so it adds up to one helluva lot of automotive racing action and
mechanical alterations that has fascinated us for so long, and continues to
do so !  Maybe we could even have another category for garage and
workshop mishaps / surprises / close-calls, and oddball happenings .....
       I really think we could fill a bunch of shelves with quite a few books
if most of our memorable experiences could be put in print !
       Bet we get some interesting and funny stories here ...... maybe
you opened a floodgate here, John !    Thank you in advance !
       Bruce, at, around, or involved in racing one way or another since
a mere youth in 1947, and that was midgets and jalopy racing( the
forerunners of modified stock cars ) at the bygone Westboro Stadium
speedway in Massachusetts.  First involvement was as a parts-washer
and dirty-job doer on a 5 window '34 Ford coupe jalopy the older boys
were campaigning !  One long-ago memory of those days is looking out
the side window from the backseat of our 1946 Ford towcar, and watching
that coupe hit a stone wall after it unhitched on the way home from racing
at the Lonsdale, RI third mile oval !    I know there are some on this list
who were racecrazy before me ...... because they're older !
                         Story Time, Anybody ???