Re: Non LSR Info on Bending lexan

To: "LSR list" <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Non LSR Info on Bending lexan
From: "atrav" <atrav@copper.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:59:16 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "R. Denton" <foxriverkid@earthlink.net>
To: "LSR list" <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 8:23 PM
Subject: Non LSR Info on Bending lexan

> How does one put a permanent bend in a piece of 1/16" lexan? I need to make
>covers for for the
road racing lights on my Porsche 930. They need to be curved like the approach
to the corners of the
front valance.

> I assume you do it with heat, but how?

    I have the wife hold up a propane torch, then I move the Lexan closer or
farther away while
bending it. I can feel when it starts to soften up, give it a little tension
and you'll feel it
loosen up. It's harder to make a bubble than a bend. It's better to bend it
before you cut it too
small, ie plan on the final cut for after being bent. I've done curved 1/4
windows and side windows
this way, smaller the better. IMO big stuff like a windshield or a complete
canopy would cool too
quick for the un-even heat of a little flame.
    On another list it was mentioned that you can reform tail light lenses in a
microwave. I'll try
that next time I come across some $5 yard sale microwave, if that works, that
might be an idea for
creating more of a bubble type headlight cover.
-Aron-