Re: Non LSR Info on Bending lexan

To: "R. Denton" <foxriverkid@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Non LSR Info on Bending lexan
From: "Jon E. Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:40:14 -0500
On Thursday, December 16, 2004, at 08:23 PM, R. Denton wrote:

> How does one put a permanent bend in a piece of 1/16" lexan? I need to
> make covers for for the road racing lights on my Porsche 930. They
> need to be curved like the approach to the corners of the front
> valance.
>
> I assume you do it with heat, but how?
>
> Any and all infor greatly appreciated.
>
> Bob D.

I cheat and buy it pre-bent.  Gustafsson Plastics, in St. Augustine
Florida.  www.bikescreen.com  They stock damn near anything you can
imagine, might have the lamp covers you need, or at least a form for
them or at least a file in the computer for making 'em up.

Yeah, I know, this doesn't say how to do it.  I've had good luck with
Gustafsson, though -- you might even get some help/advice just by
calling Leif, the owner, and asking him how to do it.  When I needed to
replace the (custom) windscreen they made for my bike -- they had the
new one to me in less than a week.  Decently low price, too.

I've heard stories, by the way of answering your question, about
putting the stock in the oven to soften it.  I think the stories
included the caveat:  Start with a couple of extra blanks to allow for
the learning curve.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan