Welding Aluminum

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Welding Aluminum
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:35:41 -0800
Date: Thu, 16 Dec "Tom Neimeyer"

(snip. . . )Can I buy a spool gun and run MIG (alum) with this?  Does
anybody use a spool gun?  Pros & Cons of doing this.

Tom, I have talked to both the Miller and Lincoln reps about running
aluminum with MIG. They both have indicated it is problematic depending
on where the spool is located.  If it is at the machine, (pushing the
wire through) you can expect trouble with the wire jamming and creating
a "bird's nest" from time-to-time. This is also influenced by the wire
diameter(i.e. strength).  If the spool is up front, on the handle
(PULLING the wire), you will have less of a problem. Jack replied on how
he like his and it would be interesting to know where his spool is
located.  The problem with the spool up front is it adds WEIGHT exactly
where you don't want it. Also, because of the weight the spool size has
to be small meaning you will be running out of wire and changing spools
all the time and it gets to be a real pain. In my experience, MIGing
aluminum is fine, but you need a little more patience in dealing with
small problems.

Maybe Jack can be less cryptic :-) this one time. . .Spool location?
Spool size? Wire diameter? Alloy?

  -Elon