Re: Whatever did we do before Mig welders?

To: land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Whatever did we do before Mig welders?
From: "Jon.the.Wise" <jon.the.wise@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:34:48 -0800
It's been years since I've welded anything, but I never learn tig, and
only worked briefly with Mig....

To start the arc, I usually strike the end of the stick like a match
and then carry it to the weld point as far from the metal as it'll
retain the arc... once I get to where I'm welding, I point the rod at
a 45 degree angle towards the beginning of the weld and slowly move it
in a slow circling motion away from the beginning of the weld, keeping
the stick approx 1/8" away from the weld. I'll try an ascii picture:

Starting the weld at the * and moving towards the @
move the stick back and forth in a semi-circular motion, this will be
the width of your weld, and move slowly backward as you're circling.
This will keep the puddle hot, and moving towards the end of your
weld.

     /
   /

Hope that's of some help.