Re: Broken Pinion

To: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Broken Pinion
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 04:11:15 -0600
I broke the 9" Ford pinion because the torque setting on the pinion yolk was
wrong... or at least that's my take on it...  There is a problem with
installing the driveshaft which requires the yolk be pulled off and then
re-installed after the drive shaft is in....

Normally I use a solid sleeve spacer that is shimmed into position for the
correct depth... but for some reason this particular gear set housing had
the crush sleeve.... so when I torqued it in position it is very possible
that it was overtorqued... setting the pinion gear to the incorrect depth
and causing undue stress on the pinion shaft....

That or it simply failed... ( the gears didn't look bad the shaft itself
failed )

How much HP and Torque can a set of 28 spline axles take?   Whew... I've run
775hp through them with a 3200lb car hitting the 275hp Nitrous hit in second
gear once the car was hooked up.... ( 1:65 second gear )....  and they never
showed signs of where or twisting.

hope that helps
Keith