RE: Engine Config

To: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Engine Config
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 06:31:42 -0500

If you read the rule book it clearly states tha a gas coupe is basically a
production type car that does not meet production rules for several reasons
one being an engine swap. section 4n of the 2004 book explains pretty
clearly what a swap is.. it should also explain the homemade heads issue as
well in production. As a minimum i would suspect the intake and exhaust
manifolds would have to bolt on from the original engine to not be a swap of
the cylinder heads. As such i believe it is not legal to run 18 degree SBC
heads in production as the intake will not fit from the stock 23 degree
head. i talked a while back with a friend in the foundry business about
building a set of SBC DOHC heads and the first set doing everything at cost
would be about 250k.. There is a ot more to it than you might guess at first
blush. This is not a dead issue for us but i doubt if we bother to try to
run them in a restricted class where could be any reason to not allow them.
Dave