RE: Aero Revelations

To: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>, <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Aero Revelations
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 06:01:50 -0500
If an object is 24 inches wide and the taper is 6 degrees per side I come up
with it being a little over 114 inches long or 9.5 feet. 6 to 7 degrees is
generally accepted as the optimum angle for a land based vehicle for lowest
drag. That is if it is going to end in a point, but generally there is a
chute can and push bar to deal with in the rear so it will come out shorter.
So where is the revelation? I can not figure out how you came up with your
lengths at 8 and 16 degrees either. I think the calculator may need a new
battery. I was doubting my calcs for a minute so I fired up he cad system
and drew the part you described.

For 2 ft wide and an included angle or 16 degrees= 7.12 ft long (rounded)
For 2 ft wide and an included angle or 8 degrees= 14.3 ft long (rounded)

Is there something I am missing here?
I drew the part as a box 12 inches high and 200 inches long.
Rotated one side 1/2 the included angle.
Trimmed where they intersect.
measured the length.

Unfortunately to build a car with the widest section at 24 inches I think
you either need a jockey or a talented 9 year old to drive.

Assuming 1.5 inch roll bar and 0.0625 aluminum body touching the roll
bar..with 1 inch padding on cage..and 0.125 thick seat touching cage
24-3-2-0.125-0.25=18.625 driver area. that is pretty tight when you have to
wear a firesuit and you end up needing someone that is under 18 inches wide
at the shoulders. I would think a minimum shoulder width would end up around
20 inches only because I am not that big a guy and my office chair is 19
inches wide and my shoulders touch at both sides without a firesuit on.
Can't test that don't own one or need one for that matter.
Dave