Towing at the Low-End

To: land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Towing at the Low-End
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:18:05 -0500
There's been some solid information about towing here from people who
know.
It might be worth mentioning that reliable towing on a budget can also
be done with more modest equipment.

When it was time to get equipped to tow my '32 Ford roadster to the ECTA
meets, I did some research first(never a bad idea) and talked to some
friends who know.  I was told to find a Chevy, GMC or Ford 150/1500
pickup with mileage under 75K and a factory towing package, with a V8 in
the 350 size.

It took some hunting because such trucks are available, but not common.
Presently I was able to get a '96 GMC 1500 with about 60K that met all
the needs.

A 10K capacity frame hitch was installed, with the very important sway
controller accessory which greatly improves safety and comfort.

I next acquired a new Avenger 21' enclosed four-wheel trailer which was
plenty big enough for the small roadster and all the stuff you have to
take along.  This was fitted with an electric front jack and an electric
winch inside to get the car in and out.  Both of these are very valuable
to minimize grunt work.  Let a machine do the heavy lifting.

To make a short story long, the trailer fully loaded is about 5500 lbs
as I recall, and after many five-hour trips down to ECTA and back, in
all weathers including baking heat, the rig rolls along happily at 60
mph in lock-up third gear at 2500 rpm or so, giving ten+ mpg on 87 gas
with nil oil consumption.  It acts as if it would run forever in this
service.

Mind you, however, that this is all flat-land towing which is the ideal.
One of my original advisors told me that towing in the mountains is a
"whole other story".  There you have to take it much easier on the
upgrades and keep an eye on your engine temp.  If it gets too high and
stays too high, the next news you know, your transmission will overheat
and boil its oil out of the filler tube down onto the exhaust system.
The resulting smoke will tell you you're overdoing it.  But even then,
he said, you pull over and let the whole thing cool down, and replenish
the lost trans fluid, and with any luck, you will be able to carry on.
But not pushing that hard again.

Bill H.