Re: Towing at the Low-End

To: land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Towing at the Low-End
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:09:11 -0800
List,

This is not a complicated issue unless you are towing an enormous
payload. I have consistently used a GMC 1/2 ton short bed truck since
1975. The earlier trucks were a bit short on towing capabilities because
of HP and gearing, but the last three ('84, '87, '91 & '99) trucks have
been more than adequate for my purposes. The '91 with the 5300 Vortec
engine is a monster. I am hauling and towing a 2600 lb. car, a very
heavy trailer and about 1500 lbs. in tools & parts. Although I have not
taken the rig across the scales, I suspect that the gross payload is in
excess of 10,000 lbs.

I tow at 70 plus mph once out of California. There is only one grade
that between home and the salt that I can't easily gain speed on, a nine
percent grade on Hwy. 44 before we reach Lassen Park. I have found that
the simple secret to towing with our setup is to manually back shift to
second gear at about 55 mph and keep the RPMs up. Not only does this
keep the engine in its proper power range, it also saves the
transmission from over heating. The overheating of the transmission is
usually caused by letting the vehicle lose speed until the converter
goes into torque multiplication mode, thus heating the trans oil very
rapidly.

I am sure that there are people out there that require more heavy-duty
rigs, but as for me, I will continue to buy similar trucks.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC