BRN Articles on Ebay

To: ardunbill@webtv.net, land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: BRN Articles on Ebay
From: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:47:42 -0700
Bill
I see that you got a little criticism for offering reprints of articles you
have done for BRN.  I do not agree with the criticism.  Like you I have
written a few articles for the BRN over the past few years.  Like you I
didn't "Sell" these articles to the BRN, I offered their use freely, and I
believe they were appreciated by the BRN publisher.
However, I don't see how allowing them free use, transferred ownership of
those articles to the BRN.  If the Jefferies were actively trying to make a
buck by selling reprints of articles or even actively trying to sell back
issues of the BRN, maybe I might consider it differently.  but they aren't
doing that.
You have every right to use the articles you wrote, even though you have
allowed the BRN to use them free of charge.  I don't know about your
writings used in the BRN, but mine have not been edited, they go to print
with all my grammatical errors and typos intact.  If it weren't for my
sweet wife's fine proofreading and editing skills, they would be much worse.
I don't know about you, but I don't even get a break on my BRN subscription
price.
I write for my own amusement, I don't believe I give up ownership of my
work by allowing it to be published for free in the BRN.

If on the other hand, the folks at BRN are paying you a buck per word for
your articles, please put me in touch with your agent!!!

Ignore the commercial critics, and above all, please keep writing articles
for the BRN.  Without contributions from folks like you, the BRN would be a
shadow of it's current interesting self.
Your excellent work motivates me to try to meet the high standards you set.

Dan Wright

It's amazing what you can do if you don't know it can't be done.