Tire Darg due to Tire forward speed at the top

To: <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Tire Darg due to Tire forward speed at the top
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:42:20 -0800
I think John B said
" read that only 1% or 2% of the drag of the front wheel of a roadster or
lakester is due the foreward speed at the top ."

This is no tto say that the tire is not a serious drag producer because it
is. Tires have a large frontal area for profile drag and are real turbulence
generators. Air separates from a tire around 20 degrees from the vertical in
fornt of a tire and this upsets the flow. So maybe the comment is
correct...but the other 98percent is awful.

I just wish that John B. would provide the context and other information
regarding the technical aspects of his comments. Like citing the text and
providing analysis of the data or scanning the info so we can all see where
he is coming from. Leaves me a little cold to just have someting thrown out
into the list without some corresponding reason as to why. Some of the
thoughts are interesting though.

mayf, out in Pahrump