Topic....gear ratio

To: James.Tone@AES.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Topic....gear ratio
From: "Glenn Ridlen" <glennr7@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:56:16 -0600
OK here is something I am fuzzy on. I know roughly what the torque and HP
curves of my motor look like. How do I use that info to choose a gear ratio.
I have been told that my motor is not going to pull beyond the max torque.
That makes sense to me since what one needs to overcime is the resistance,
primarily wind, which is a force. Torque is force so when the two match,
that is as fast as you are going to go. On the other hand I have always
heard that in drag racing torque is proportional to elapsed time and speed
is an indication of HP. So do I gear for max torque or HP????

                                          Glenn