Re: FLOW BENCH TESTING

To: "Joe & Lynne Lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FLOW BENCH TESTING
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:59:46 -0600
When I've had my heads flowed what I get back is a measurement of the cubic
feet of air per minute that  they will flow at graduated valve positions,
usually it's just the heads but I've heard of it being done with the intake
track in place, .... no carb.

They usually start at around .350 and work their way up to .700 or .750 inch
of valve opening.

Like Dyno's there are several ways to get the statistic's you want.... the
flow bench displaces water measured in inchs and the exact amount of water
displaced during the test is an important number.... seems some folks like
28" of water and others say 25"... the key is to know the calibration
factors they used so you can compare apples to apples.

Doug and Dave both know a ton more then I do about this, maybe we can get
them to chat about it..... Doug even has his own flow bench that he built,
Doug's bench is classic.... looks like doo doo.... but the measureing
equipment is top shelf.... extreamly well maintained and the dedicated area
is spotless...  cool little room.

Keith