RE: Laser Ignition / cam profiles

To: "Joe & Lynne Lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Laser Ignition / cam profiles
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:18:52 -0500
With those mags i doubt if less than one tenth of the power gets to the
plugs. I would suspect the 45 amps is arrived at in some off the wall way
that has nothing to do with the actual current at the plug. To start off
with 3 megawatts is over 4000 hp. so even at a 10% duty cycle how would you
drive this thing with the gear on the end of the shaft. Think about the
split pin holding the gear on the shaft and then tell me how much power you
are going get through it. Looking in a MSD catalog they list the pro mag 44
at 1.2 amps at 45k volts as a max output on the seconary. Sometime with the
wild aftermarket claims you need to do a common sense look at what they are
saying.. they are claiming 1000 mJ of power at the plug possible. I can tell
you that less than 70 mJ will fire over 1400 hp on a V-8.
Dave