Chet Herbert, etc.

To: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chet Herbert, etc.
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:21:04 -0800
  List,

I just finished reading an article in The Rodder Journal about Chet
Herbert. A great must read story! Today's rodders forget what it was
like in the early days. You couldn't pick up a catalog and order the
parts you needed. So...you made them.

I have know Chet as a racer since the mid 50s, but this story reveals
the personal struggles as well.

I am now ready to lift the body off the race car. We are doing a frame
up restoration this year.  It is time, lots of rust & such. That's the
good news. The bad news is that my engine builder, Randy Liddell, is
battling a Leukemia type of cancer that attacks the organs. His heart,
kidneys, & liver are affected.

Randy is one of a kind. A very serious engine tech that keeps up on all
the latest innovations. His son, Ron, has worked for the Childress Teams
for several years so Randy gets lots of the new info. He has not been
well for a time, but just found out his real condition about Christmas.
He has been part of my program since the early 70s. This is a very sad
situation for me. Pray for Randy!

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC