Interesting Innovation

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Interesting Innovation
From: "MPittwood@compuserve.com" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 05:02:12 -0500
Mayf and List

This new product is just a modern version of the ice can around the fuel
line and the air intake pipe.  Nice product apearance on the website.

This now means we can double the number of classes at Bonneville - yippee -
 we will have Ice Cans for the traditionalists (or none at all) and CryO2
systems for those with modern thoughts on power production (LOL).

Its too early on a weekend to run the numbers .....  but I would like to
know what the flow rate of CO2 would need to be to achieve a consistent
reduction of density down the 7 mile course say.  As the bottle empties
what will be the effective change as liquid CO2 becomes all gaseous inside?
(vapour pressures are too much so early!) - the same problem the Nitrous
racers have.

At least with CO2, which we all know snuffs out fires, there will be no
concerns to the rule makers regarding its use over the intercooler unit
when compared with nitrous which might just creep into the engine intake
too.

Where are you guys going to package the CO2 bottles?

Seriously, if the rules allow other forms of fuel and air cooling (or at
least have not banned them) then this to me seems legal - but hey what does
a Brit know about the SCTA/BNI rule makers minds?  To be a "power producer"
wouldn't the combustion process itself have to be altered.

What about water injection systems? .... Doh, they are allowed and used, so
its all off the workshop to convert that old (or not so old) CO2
extinguisher.

What would the SCTA rule makers do when a racer turns up with the
'ionisation pyramids' used on oil fired boilers to alter the combustion
process?

Enjoy the weekend.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England