Re: Turbine HP

To: LandSpeed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turbine HP
From: Mike Lackey <mike_lackey@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:19:15 -0800 (PST)
--- DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com> wrote:
> My thought was that if the turbine system on the gop kart had 1500 hp then
> it should have vanished instantly. The M1 Abrams tank has a 1500 hp turbine
> and it moves right along, all 63 tons of it.....I bet that little bitty
> thing on the go kart could not do that at all. I wonder how they estimated
> the power? Or whatever it was they was smoking....
>
> mayf

You can only accelerate if you have traction...  And they don't state how much
they were
throttling it back for that video.  For instance, the launch looks rather
subdued; the front tires
don't even come off the ground.  There's a bunch of reasons why it might
accelerate slower than
you'd think.  Of course, with some of their stats they directly contradict
themselves (wheel speed
equals 4500rpm or 7000rpm?).  So, who knows how much power it actually had, but
it's still a
pretty cool toy and so far the only video I've seen of one of these
contraptions in action.

-Mike Lackey
'68 Chevy C10
'94 Corvette Coupe