Re: Shelly Howard's Crash

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shelly Howard's Crash
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:23:58 -0700
Oh, my god, that is just horrendous.  My sympathies to the family.

After the shock at such an incredible event, my mind goes to "how to
automatically shut down a vehicle as soon as it is upside down".  A
negative-vertical-g-detecting-only accelerometer near the rear axle?
But how many vertical G's would be involved in a "slightly" abnormal run
with a bit of bouncing, vibration, etc.?  So some filtering, lower
limit/threshold testing, etc., seems likely necessary.  Or maybe the
auto manufacturers have this sorted out already, since some cars (Ford
sticks in my mind, but maybe most cars now with electric fuel pumps)
have such shutoffs, albeit not subject to the same environment has a
large-bore fuel dragster.

What a sad event.
Benn