Re: roll cage question #1

To: Benn <karhu@california.com>
Subject: Re: roll cage question #1
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:02:02 -0400
Benn wrote:

>Hi all,
>Just got the new rule book, and am questioning the page 25 roll cage
>requirement for "a helmet-retaining strap"  The figure accompanying this text
>shows a typical roadster or liner arrangement.  However, this presumably does
>not apply to production or GT cars, true?  This strap's function would be
>supplanted by the helmet support or other device in this case, right?
>Benn

Benn,

A helmet strap is the keep your head inside of the rollcage. In a
roadster or lakester style cage, the helmet can get between the bars,
exposing the helmet(read, your head) to bumping. NHRA requires 1.0"
diameter tubing, not a strap. A good friend had a dragster lose control
and go in front of him at 250+, the rear tire caught the cage, the
result was two completely destroyed cars.The accident investagation
showed that he wouldn't have made it if it didn't have that tubing, as
it added substantial strenght to the cage. I have never put a strap in
any car since.

joe