Re: Center of pressure?

To: "land-speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Center of pressure?
From: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:57:03 -0400
  Jack's "hang it from a string and blow" post inspired me to drill a row of
small holes down the middle of a 18" three dimentional  wooden model roughly
like my streamliner that I made a few years ago . Hope this works:
                                      ! ------string
                                      ! ------.020 wire 8" long
  Model ---<================>                 <-- air nozzle
                                            ! ------ .020 wire 8" long
                                           O ---weight so model hangs level
   Hanging from the 30.5% point the model briefly hunted and then pointed
steady into the wind . When hung from the 33.3% point it had no directional
stability . The model was a few feet from the air nozzle and a couple of feet
off the floor . The air speed was may-be 10 or 15 mph . The model has no tail
fin and the flat sides start tapering at the 40% point and and come to a point
at the back (front wheel drive , tandem rear wheels) . If I make and test a
model that's closer to my streamliner I'll post what I learn .
John Burk joyseydevil@comcast.net