Protecting the brain -- VW's

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Protecting the brain -- VW's
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:57:15 -0700
As long as we're into ripping water-cooled VW's here's a couple---
Back in 1975 a school teacher friend (not into cars) bought a new Rabbit to
replace his beloved old beetle.  In the first year had a number of problems;
but the one that I'll never forget was the day the front pulley quit turning
and the dealer discovered the stub end of the crank had broken at the fillet.
To an engineer like me this is on a par with leaving the prohibition against
visible cracks out of the con rod forging spec.
About 5 years ago My son David, the mechanical engineer, decided to save some
bucks and change the oil in his wife's Passat.  Being the logical thinker that
he is he removed the only visible drain plug, drained the oil into a pan
without noting it's color, replaced the plug and added oil to the engine.
Later he got in, drove about halfway down the block and realized something was
very wrong.  After a trip to the dealer he was $200 poorer; but the car was
OK.  Surprise!   The engine oil drain plug was hidden up under a panel
requiring several screws to be removed. And there was absolutely no mention of
this in the owners manual!!  I guess the brainiacs in the VW engineering dept
figured that only factory trained technicians would change the oil in their
designs.
Ed Weldon