RE: race car wiring

To: "paul bland" <paul.blandavon@btinternet.com>,
Subject: RE: race car wiring
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 05:50:34 -0400
I actually threatened to write one maybe there might be a market one if I
can find the time.A couple quick rules , at least my rules others may
differ, don't solder unless you are FAA certified to use a solder joint as a
splice. Everybody seems to think if a little is good more is better. The
wire gets brittle from the solder wicking into the wire. Buy the best wire
and connectors you can afford along with the proper crimpers to fasten the
terminals coorectly. A good crimper is a precison tool not a grooved set of
pliers. Waytech is on the net and they sell a reasonable set of connectos
and wire with the correct crimpers for average hobby use.Weather pac and
Metripack series connectors are simple to use and cheap to buy. Oh and
ground wires are the ones that generally fail due to corrosion and
especially at the salt flats. Use plenty of dual wall heat shink at
terminations for sealing and strain relief. I won't get into the mil-spec
connectors because the avaerge guy is not going to want to buy the crimpers
let alone the connectors. I have one set of crimpers for small wire gauges
and mil-spec stuff and they are 500 the larger gauge wire set that goes to
12 gauge is another 600 with dies.. You can easily spend 3000-4000 just on
crimpers before you buy a connector or wire.
Dave