Pump Gas Drags ( no LSR )

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pump Gas Drags ( no LSR )
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:11:49 -0500
We were all kicking back having a beer after the HOT ROD Top Speed challenge
at Maxton back in April and Freiburger asked if Tonya and I would like to come
up and help with the Pump Gas Drags...   Since we like racing and it didn't
interfere with our schedule... we decided to go...

As the whole thing started to sink in we both got really excited about helping
him put on the event and just really got to looking forward to it.  The
Concept is that Hot Rod invites 50 of the best street racers in the country to
Memphis Tenn. and then has them go thru Tech... empty the fuel tanks and gives
them 12 gallons of Rocket brand 93 octane pump gas... they then leave and
drive 30 miles to Memphis Motorsports park and make 3 runs down the 1/4 mile..
and the lowest average ET wins...  The top ten all get Jackets... ( whew..
cheap jacket eh? )

The whole event happens in 0ne day... one VERY long day for us... but we had
the best time...  I'm not going drag racing anytime soon... but it really was
a great time with some very interesting technology... lots of turbo's and an
equal number of big blocks on some SERIOUS nitrous....  and David picked some
that were just way out there on the bleeding edge... like a 4 door Rambler
with a turbo... and a 6 cylinder Nova that Hauled Ass... even a Twin turbo'd
V-10 Viper.

Best time was 8.62 in the quarter on Pump gas....   amazing deal..

Keith