Re: Gas welding Do'ins

To: "Sparky" <wmtsmith@landracing.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gas welding Do'ins
From: "Ron Gibson" <rgg14@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 23:23:14 -0500
  If your tip is the right size, flame is right heat and fit of material is
good you don't need to move the tip much. If your headers are mild steel and
you have the time you can just reheat the weld to flowing point without
adding more rod to even out the weld to made them look better. Been there,
done that, got the Tee shirt. If your welding is really good, the back side
of the weld will look just like the front.
   To practice run a bead across a piece of 18ga sheet metal, then look at
the back side to look at your penetration. That way you can see if you are
using to much heat and making goobers on the inside which is bad for header
flow.

Ron

> Any coments on technique as I am going to do more welding on my headers
again tommorow.. some of what I have done sorta looks ok--a lot looks like
dirt dobber started a nest..