Re: Hybrid Pioneer Dies

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Subject: Re: Hybrid Pioneer Dies
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:31:21 -0400
On Wednesday, June 15, 2005, at 12:52 PM, Albaugh, Neil wrote:

> I found this info on that website:
>
> " Wouk's car (a Buick Skylark), which he built with Dr. Charles Rosen,
> had a Mazda rotary engine half the size and power of the Skylark's
> standard V-8 and an electric motor used for starting and for extra
> power."
>
> A Mazda rotary engine in a low- emission car? I always thought that
> Wankels were pretty bad on emissions... what's the truth?
>
> Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ

I never put the car on an analyzer, but. . .

We had a 1974 RX-4 w/rotary engine.  Strong!  Smooth!  Quiet!  Great
top speed!   More than a quart of oil/1,000 miles when we bought it,
used, with 20,000 miles on it.  I whined until I got the company to put
in new rotor tip & edge seals, which reduced the oil consumption to a
little more than a quart per 1,000 miles.

It got pretty crappy gas mileage, too.

You make up your own mind about how low-emissions it was. . .

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)