Re: DIY distributor cap

To: "LSR list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: DIY distributor cap
From: "atrav" <atrav@copper.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:11:48 -0400
I didn't see this come back, so pardon if you all get more than one....

Wow, that's a great amount of information Ed, thanks!
    The reason I suggested Nylon is I can get blocks of it cheap/free from a
dental school near my
parents, but it looks like that is a bad idea all around. Delrin sounds great,
assuming I can weasel
some of that cheap too. I did think about casting, but I'd really like to make
the contacts
replaceable- plus I have a machinist that's gung ho for this project, but
casting is still a viable
idea
that I'll chew on.
    What this is all for is a Lincoln flathead V12. The stock ignition is
getting very pricey, and
IMO the quality of the available parts is getting really poor too. I've seen
Jaguar distributors
modified to work, one with a bevel drive modified from a V8 bevel drive, and
one with an adaptor
shooting right out the front (which all took up way too much room).
I would like to pervert a V8 set up, like this-->
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/dept_id.697/display_id.531/qx/Product.htm
and make a crab style distributor cap with 12 terminals. I'll be taking a
closer look at one of
these soon, to see if there's room internally for a six stator setup. I don't
want to go with a CNP
or Electromotive type setup. It's all up in the air now, but it's getting
really close to the
ignition being the hold up for getting this thing running. I'm open to any
other suggestions.
Also, Ed Weldon, were you on the 'Homebrew Autos' list many years ago? (A list
run by Fred
Breitweister (sp?)). I have a bunch of saved emails from that list about
bending and modifying
Plexiglas/lexan, and the name Weldon rings a bell.
-Aron-