Re: New pistons

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New pistons
From: McGlener@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:53:16 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/2005 7:05:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
SCowle@mentorcollege.edu writes:

so if  you are working on a car as Dr. Mayf has been doing , let everyone
know what's  going on, it makes this list all that much more  interesting.

Race on Sunday, wrench on Monday.

Got home from the meet this weekend, unloaded the bike, removed tank, tail,
radiator, carbs, air box, exhausts, heads, jugs, and pistons. I'm really
pleased  how the pistons look. I changed fuel, jetting, compression, and pipes
for
the  last meet, so I was really concerned. Of course, it was almost difficult
to  chase the air out there this last month too - almost hard to go too lean.
I  almost forgot my last gear too, so these spent a long time at 12,500
bouncing  off the limiter before my brain - overwhelmed because I'm still so
new -
realized that the bike shouldn't be laying down yet with about 300 meters to
go.  Ouch. Almost screwed the pooch.

...but I'm close. Piston tops were on the edge, but no damage. Rings just
starting to barely stick. New pistons and rings for Speed Week. Cleaning.
Meticulous reassembly. Obsess over gearing and data logger data. Dreams of the
salt every night.

-966B

Welcome back, Glen!